Tuesday, January 8, 2013

California Roll Pseu-shi Bowl

I love sushi.

I know that some people make sounds of disgust and looks of horror when the word sushi is uttered.

Not me!! I love sushi.

Hey, I'm from the West coast, I grew up eating and enjoying all kinds of fresh fish and seafood. I have to admit I enjoy certain varieties more than others. but the utter simplicity of sushi and sashimi allows certain palates to enjoy the beautiful briny essence of really fresh food.

And...not all sushi is made with raw fish or seafood. One of my favs is Kaibashira (scallop with mayo) or Hototegai (scallop shashimi), and those are raw, but I also love Ebi and that is a sweet cooked prawn. 

But almost anyone can and most do order fully cooked and delicious sushi, such as the gold standard: California Roll. 

And since I had the makings and I crave it every so often, I went home and made this for lunch. 
@sourdoughnative
@Sourdoughnative



This really is so easy and totally good for you. And, it's much easier than rolling actual sushi rolls. It's a combination of seasoned cooked rice, Avocado, cucumber and Surimi(crab or Lobster flavored imitation flakes or sticks or use cooked Shrimp or tuna or crab or whatever delicious fish or seafood floats your boat). 
It is easy and really fast to make if you have the rice already cooked. I just took the chill of from having it in the frig by nuking it for about a minute or so.

California Roll Pseu-shi Bowls
Makes 4 servings
Prep time: 25 minutes
Ingredients
• 1 cup uncooked white rice
• 4 teaspoons rice vinegar
• 1 teaspoon sugar
• 1/2 teaspoon salt
• 1 large carrot, peeled, and cut into matchsticks (I didn't use this in the photo)
• 1 medium cucumber, peeled, seeded, and cut into matchsticks
• 6 ounces imitation crab or lobster meat (Surimi Seafood Sticks), sliced or chopped
• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and cubed
• 1 square sheet toasted Nori seaweed, crumbled into small pieces
• Your favorite *Oriental Sesame dressing or soy sauce (optional, but recommended).

*You can easily make your own dressing and this is good on just about anything, even an old boot!
Orange Sesame Dressing Recipe:
  • 1/4 cup(s) orange juice
  • 1/4 cup(s) seasoned rice vinegar
  • 1 teaspoon(s) grated peeled fresh ginger or 1/2 tsp ginger powder
  • 1 teaspoon(s) Asian sesame oil
  • 2 teaspoon(s) reduced-sodium soy sauce 
Combine all ingredients in a small bowl and set aside
Adapted from: Low-Fat Sesame-Orange Dressing - Good Housekeeping

Directions
  • Cook rice according to package directions. Let cool to room temperature.
  • In a small bowl, combine the rice vinegar, sugar and salt. Microwave 30 seconds; stir until the sugar dissolves. Pour vinegar mixture on the rice and stir gently to combine. Mix in the carrots, cucumbers, crab, avacado and crushed nori.
  • Serve in bowls and drizzle with your dressing(If you’d like, sub soy sauce or ponzu, to taste.) Serve immediately.

This is what I used for the Nori or seaweed in my salad, a whole package only has 30 cal and you can munch away, plus this way I don't miss the bite of the Wasabi, it's already there.  

**This is shared on The Country Cook Weekend Potluck #49


2 comments:

I relish your comments....