Thursday, March 14, 2013

Savory German Brat, Cabbage and Onion Supper

Growing up and living in the San Francisco Bay Area, I experienced many diverse ethnic foods. And I have to admit, I really loved them all!

See, I was born a Foodie and then I was raised in a great environment to explore it.

One thing that I have admit I never had the opportunity to try during my first 35 years was......

BRATWURST

Ya, ve're talking German brat-vurst, you know??

I know, hard to believe, but German food isn't quite the thing out on the West coast unless you get into a little German enclave, like Alpine Village in southern California. 

It is well known that the highest percentages of German settlements are concentrated in the Upper Midwest and over to Ohio. So....no wonder this Cali girl had never had a Brat!!

But, believe you me, I have made up for it in the last 20 years.
They are sooooo good!


Grilling Brats (sausages, not children!!!), is a weekly occurrence in these parts during the summer months. The favored way is to grill them and then simmer them in a pan on the BBQ that is filled with beer. Yup, I did say that....beer!

Served on a Brat Bun(yes-back here they have specific buns for Brats!) slathered with your favorite mustard. Sooooo goood!

During the winter, I still prepare Brats, the typical German way, with sauteed cabbage, carrots and onions. Still delicious. 



So that is what I have for you today......  


@Salted Nuts

 


This is more traditional with potatoes, but I omitted them because we have been eating a lot of them lately this dish didn't need it. Feel free to slice 2 potatoes and saute them along with the other vegetables. 


Ingredients 
4 tablespoons butter, divided
1 pound bratwurst-about 5-6 links
1 onion, chopped
2 large carrots, peeled, halved and sliced
4-5 cups green cabbage, roughly chopped about half a head)
2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar
Kosher salt and cracked black pepper

Directions
Melt 1 tbsp of butter over medium heat in a deep sided saute pan, and brown Brats on all sides. About 8-10 minutes. Remove to a plate and set aside.  


Melt the remaining 3 tbsp butter and add in all the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper and stir to coat. Cover and cook 8-10 minutes until wilted by half.   


Mix the sugar and vinegar and pour over the cabbage mixture and stir to combine. Nestle in the Brats and turn heat to medium low and cook covered until the Brats are heated through and the vegetables are softened completely, abut 20 minutes more. Vent the lid the last 10 minutes to evaporate some of the liquid from the vegetables. 
Serve with your favorite mustard.



Recipe adapted from Johnsonville

This recipe has been shared on:
Showcase Your Talent Thursday
Somewhat Simple
Thursday's Treasures
Made U Look

Frugal Food Thursday @ Frugal Follies
Full Plate Thursday @ Miz Helens Country Cottage
 


 



6 comments:

  1. Hi Kari,
    I can almost taste this fabulous dish, we just love a robust flavor that Brat's and Cabbage. Have a great St. Patrick’s Day and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Miz Helen, always a pleasure to drop by your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love bratwurst. This is a great German meal. Thanks for sharing on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Christie! It is always a pleasure to check out all the posts on Thursdays Treasures.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband would be drooling~ I have to show him! Thanks for linking up at Made in a Day last week!
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim, it's a fav of my DH as well.

    ReplyDelete

I relish your comments....