Wednesday, March 13, 2013

The Ultimate Cheesy Tater Broccoli Casserole

I'm still reeling from the scary drive we had this last Sunday. 

We left our home at 6am for a Volleyball Tournament with the youngest daughter, at the National Volleyball Center in Rochester, MN. It is 90 minutes away from where we live in North Iowa.

12 hours later, at 6pm, we left to return home and drove straight into a blizzard. For the first 2 hours we drove 35-40mph. The last 11 miles to our city is on a 2 lane country road, it took us 50 minutes, plowing through 5-8" snow and drifts. No lights other than our headlights and the wind was blowing snow straight across. Nerve-wracking doesn't even do that drive justice.

So now I am truly embracing all my grey hairs. I thought all my children gave them to me (and one ex-husband-hehe), but now I realize it's LIFE!!!

So comfort food has been at the top of everyone's list. Including the fact that I work full time and if I haven't utilized my handy-dandy slow cooker, then dinner isn't started 'til I get home at 5:05pm. (Yes, I'm fortunate, I work a mile away from home-small town girl now).  

So this casserole (Hotdish back here), came out fast, really tasty and CHEESY.

It has all the components that most love: Meat, potatoes, and cheese. It is so cheesy and delicious that not one word was said about the Broccoli, which was fantastic.

My family all voted to have this made in place of Tater Tot Hot-dish any day!!!
@SaltedNuts-of course I forgot the FF Onions in the pic

  Ingredients:
  • Tater Tots or Cubed Potatoes
  • 1 Pound Ground Beef, Pork, Chicken or Turkey (I used lean ground Pork)
  • 1 Sm. Onion, diced
  • 10 Ounces Frozen Broccoli, thawed
  • 1 Med.Tomato, chopped
  • 1 Cup Onions French Fried Divided
  • 1 1/2 Cups Sharp Cheddar Cheese Shredded
  • 10 3/4 Ounces Cream of Mushroom Soup Undiluted (sub your favorite cream soup)
  • 1/2 Cup Milk
  • 1/2 Teaspoon Garlic Powder
  • Salt
  • Pepper
Directions:
  1. Layer Tater Tots or cubed potatoes in bottom of a 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 10-15 minutes. 
  2. Meanwhile, in a large skillet, brown beef; drain and saute onion until translucent. Add salt and pepper to taste.
  3. In a bowl, combine 1/2 cup cheese, soup, milk and garlic powder. 
  4. Spoon beef mixture over hot Tater Tots. 
  5. Spread broccoli over meat, then tomatoes and then pour the soup mixture over to cover all. 
  6. Cover with foil and bake 25-30 minutes. 
  7. Uncover and sprinkle with remaining cheese and french fried onions. Bake an additional 5 minutes or until cheese is melted.
  8. Let rest 5-10 minutes to make serving easier (if you can wait that long!).



**This recipe is adapted from a recipe by Ore-Ida.com



This recipe is featured on:
What's Cookin' Wednesday
Cast Party Wednesday @ Lady Behind the Curtain
What I Whipped Up Wednesday @ Sugar and Dots
Wiked Good Wednesday @ I Love My Disorganized Life
Whats Cooking Wednesday @ Buns in My Oven

Trick or Treat Tuesday
Tasteful Tuesday
Tuesday Talent Show
 Memories by the Mile

Melt In Your Mouth Monday@Make Ahead Meals For Busy Moms

 

6 comments:

  1. Blizzards are awful! This casserole looks awesome :)
    Your newest follower :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh...something we haven't had to contend with for a while. but goodness, that was scary. Thank goodness the Hubs has a big 4x4 and we just plowed through, but it was scary in the dark. Come to find out they shut down the Interstate 30 minutes after we drove through! And this is a winner. Thanks Lori!

      Delete
  2. Hi! This looks awesome! I would love to try this. Followed over from Sugar and Dots blog hop. Following via GFC :)

    Jackie
    www.thenonmarthamomma.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jackie, thanks so much! It is really good. Thumbs up from all the fam. Love your blog and I'm a follower too! Hugs-Kari

      Delete
  3. Kari,
    Thank you for linking this recipe to my link party. It looks so yummy, I pinned it.
    Hope to see you next week at Tuesday Trivia Link Party.
    Hugs,
    Wanda Ann @ Memories by the Mile

    ReplyDelete

I relish your comments....