Saturday, March 1, 2014

Double Decker Tacos

At first I didn't believe a co-worker of mine when she said the only way she makes tacos at home was in the Double Decker style--I never use the hard, prepared shells (I recently found a box in the pantry and it was over 4 years old-ahem!), it seemed like cheating, I guess.

Oh, and don't worry I threw them out. I DO practice FIFO generally, this box got hidden...


I just always went the old school route and served regular corn or flour tortillas heated on a comal (traditional flat cast iron pan used to heat tortillas) or softened in a towel or foil in the microwave or oven.

Anyway, after hearing her sing the praises of using a hard shell corn tortilla, and wrapping a soft flour tortilla around it, after spreading it with sour cream, intrigued me. I wanted to give it a try, so I broke through my hesitation and bought a box of prepared corn tortilla taco shells....don't worry I used them the same night!

Also, I've learned quick and easy doesn't mean you miss out on it being good and even just darn great... 

But after tasting these my family threw down the gauntlet and refused to eat them any other way in the future. Say what? It's a taco mutiny in my home...

Then I had one and well... I had to agree, they were awesome. Dang it.


One bite and you'll know, know that these are some of the best tacos you've had and it will make you wonder why haven't you made them before...

Next time I'm going to try spreading warmed re-fried beans or maybe even queso (cheese) sauce on the flour tortilla-oh boy watch out!!

 

Ingredients:
1.25 lbs. Lean ground beef 
1 pkt. taco seasoning or use 1 tsp. each of ground cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder and oregano, mix with 2 tsp. of flour.
8 hard shell corn torilla's, I used the stand and stuff style-awesome!
8 flour tortilla's, softened by wrapping in a cloth and nuking for 25 seconds
1/3 sour cream (next time I'm going to try warmed refried beans!)
shredded cheddar cheese
shredded lettuce
diced tomatoes
taco sauce
cilantro 


Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350F.
  2. In a large saute pan, brown and crumble ground beef, add in seasoning and 1/3 cup water. Simmer for 3-4 minutes. 
  3. In a casserole dish line up the corn shells and fill with taco meat. Sprinkle with the shredded cheese. 
  4. Heat in the oven for 5 minutes, until cheese is melted and shells are crisped. 
  5. Meanwhile, after warming flour tortilla's, spread each tortilla with 1-2 tsp. of sour cream. After corn shells are heated, "carefully-they're HOT! place a hard shell in the center of each flour tortilla and wrap up the sides. 
  6. "Dress" each taco to your delight! 
 
Enjoy!! 
This recipe is shared on My Link Parties


 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....