Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Shrimp Creole

I know this is going to date me, but seriously if you think about it, before the Food Network and the Cooking Channel there was...

PBS.

Think, Julia Childs, The Galloping Gourmet, Yan Can Cook, Jacques Pepin, and so on. There were many others but these four chefs were my favorites. Oh, and I realize now I was watching re-runs  (yeah-right)

This was the beginning of the Foodie craze. Who knew? 

I just knew I loved watching these chefs create food and entertain me as well.

They cooked dishes that were exotic and strange and many that were the epitome of comfort and "classic" as well. 





One that I remember well, and have made frequently throughout my life is Shrimp Creole. 

Shrimp Creole is a savory and slightly spicy tomato-ey stew that is simmered and then shrimp is tossed in at the end. We love ours served over rice pilaf, or rice. 

It is in the First Edition 1961 Betty Crocker cookbook I have (no-I wasn't cooking then, this version was a gift), although she uses tomato paste and yucky canned shrimp. 


I adapted my recipe from Deep South Dish.  This is more of a traditional, yet easy version and it can be made anyday, and big plus, it's even company worthy. 

And I've been featured:


I was featured at #GetHimFed Fridays




 Looks fancy, tastes fancy, it is really a snap to make. Don't let the ingredient list scare you, it's worth it. 

Come on lets do this!!



Ingredients
1 pound of shrimp, peeled & deveined
1 tablespoon of olive oil
1 tablespoon of unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups onion, chopped
1 cup green bell pepper, chopped (I used a red-it was all I had) 
1 cup celery, chopped
1 tbsp garlic, chopped fine
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1 tbsp flour
1 (14 oz.) can of crushed or diced tomatoes
1 cup of water or chicken broth
2 tsp chili powder
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
Couple dashes of hot sauce, optional, to taste
1 green onion, sliced
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped


Directions:
  1. In a large skillet heat the olive oil and butter together over medium heat. Add the chopped onion, green bell pepper and celery and saute until tender, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic and saute for another minute.
  2. Add flour and chili powder to the veggie mixture and stir to coat and cook for 1-2 minutes.
  3. Add the tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce and water and bring mixture to a boil. Reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 30 minutes, or until reduced and thickened.
  4. Add the shrimp to the tomato mixture. Add a couple of shakes of the hot sauce, and stir together. Cook for another 5 to 6 minutes, or until shrimp is opaque and cooked through. Stir in the green onion and parsley.
  5. This is traditionally served over rice or rice pilaf.


Enjoy!!  





This recipe is shared on My Link Parties







Also shared on Weekend Potluck 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I relish your comments....